Schedule and location
(available for 60 days)
Section E: Thursday, December 17, 2020, 12:00 p.m. central time: Access online self-paced materials Register Now
Please note: Early online registration is open Nov 24-30 exclusively for Ginkgo Circle, Oak Circle, Hawthorn Circle, Elm Circle, and Thornhill Circle members. Registration opens to all members December 1.
(available for 60 days)
- Section A: Thursday, Jan 21, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
- Section B: Thursday, Feb 18, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
- Section C: Thursday, March 18, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
Fees and registration
BY PHONE: 630-719-2468 or to be waitlisted (Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
Get the botany basics you need to identify plants in this online, self-paced class. Whether you are a natural resources volunteer or specialist, gardener, naturalist, or artist this class provides the fundamentals you need to get started.
From the comfort of your home or office, use self-paced online learning modules to learn about plant identification. Slides narrated by an Arboretum plant expert and interactive, no-pressure quizzes will help you learn the vocabulary to name plants and describe their structures and life histories.
How Self-paced Online Classes Work:
- To access the class, you will log into TreeLearning, the Arboretum’s online learning portal. Instructions for accessing TreeLearning will be sent to registrants on the day the course begins. You have access to the course for 60 days and can complete the materials anytime.
- Complete the self-paced e-learning modules with reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding.
- The course will take approximately 90 minutes. The course does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- Your instructor will not be online with you.
- This class is held entirely online.
- The online materials will take approximately 90 minutes to complete.
- Participants will have access to the online materials for 60 days after the course start date.
- Registration closes at 7:00 a.m. (Central time) on the day the online materials are released.
- Limit 50
- Participants must have access to the internet and know how to use a web browser (ex: Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer)
- Participants must know how to send and receive email.
- A unique email address for each participant is required at registration.
Continuing education: This class fulfills a requirement of the Natural Areas Conservation Training (N-ACT) Program. (Learn more about N-ACT.)