Schedule and location
Please note: Early online registration is open Nov 24-30 exclusively for Ginkgo Circle, Oak Circle, Hawthorn Circle, Elm Circle, and Thornhill Circle members. Registration opens to all members December 1.
In front of the Admnistration Building
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m (Central time): Attend in-person session.
Thursday, January 14 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
Saturday, January 23, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. (Central time): Attend in-person session.
Fees and registration
BY PHONE: 630-719-2468 ( Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
Learn and practice correct pruning techniques for trees and shrubs. Winter is a great time to prune. Bare branches make it easier to assess what needs to stay and what should be removed. Winter pruning also encourages proper spring growth.
Get started at home with self-paced online materials, which will cover key principles, techniques, and vocabulary with interactive elearning modules and videos. Then get hands-on practice in the field with a trained horticulturist on the grounds of The Morton Arboretum.
How Online Classes Work:
- To access the online materials, you will log into TreeLearning, the Arboretum’s online learning portal. Instructions for accessing TreeLearning will be sent to registrants on the day the course begins. You have access to the online course materials for 60 days.
- Complete self-paced e-learning modules with reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding.
- The self-guided portion will take approximately 60 minutes. It does not need to be completed in one sitting, but you must complete it before your in-person class session.
- If you are unwell, or have been in contact with someone who is unwell in the last two weeks, you must stay home. A full refund will be issued on request.
- Participants must bring face masks. Face masks are required while indoors. Face masks are also required outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
- Maintain a distance of six feet from others whenever possible.
- For more information on the Arboretum’s guidelines, please watch the video at https://www.mortonarb.org/visit-explore/plan-visit/know-you-go-visit-information.
- Internet access
- A email address for each individual registrant
- Must know how to use a web browser (ex: Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer) and how to send and receive email.
- Registration closes at 7:00 a.m. (Central time) on the day the online materials are released.
- The in-person session will be held outdoors. Please dress for the weather and bring gardening gloves. Bring your own pruners if you have them; pruners will be provided to those who do not have their own.