For many students, the future can be really exciting and a bit scary. Students are often asked at an early stage of life to decide what they want to do with the rest of it, and making decisions about what career to pursue can be daunting and overwhelming. "Planted: Finding Your Roots in STEM Careers," a podcast from The Morton Arboretum, will introduce students to some plant professionals with amazing careers.
Plant professionals do everything from educating others about the natural world to running large companies to traveling the world to save threatened species. Explore these opportunities by listening to these episodes.
LISTEN: Online or on your mobile device. The podcast is available through Apple Podcasts (iTunes), Stitcher, and Google Podcasts. All of Season 1 is now available online. Season 2 will be released from August through September 24, 2019. All content for season 2 will be available online by September 24, 2019. Subscribe on your preferred channel to ensure you do not miss the release of each episode.
EXPLORE: Discover bonus content and take a deep dive into each episode. Uncover teaching resources aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) to make the episode content come alive. Teachers can connect the experiences of program guests to the classroom using activities and discussions.
Season 2: Focusing on highlighted traits of individuals in various stages of their STEM careers.
- Episode 1: Collaboration, with guest Dr. Silvia Alvarez-Clare, Tree Conservation Ecologist at The Morton Arboretum
- Episode 2: Innovation, with guest Dr. Chris Martine, David Burpee Professor of Plant Genetics and Research at Bucknell University
- Episode 3: Versatility, with guest Marvin Lo, Research Assistant at The Morton Arboretum
- Episode 4: Vision, with guests Sue Wagner, former Vice President of Education and Information at The Morton Arboretum, and Dr. Nicole Cavender, Vice President of Science and Conservation at The Morton Arboretum.
- Episode 5: Communication, with guest Matt Candeias, PhD candidate and creator of In Defense of Plants podcast
- Episode 6: Risk-Assessment, with Kevin McIntyre, Arborist Climber at The Morton Arboretum
- Episode 7: Leadership, with guest Anna Ball, CEO of Ball Horticultural
- Episode 8: Passion, with guest Julie Travaglini, Education Program Director at Allegheny Land Trust
- Episode 9: Adventure, with guest Matt Lobdell, Curator of Living Collections at The Morton Arboretum
Season 1 (Released Fall 2018): Focusing on the journey into a STEM career.
- Episode 1: The Start of the Journey, with guest Dr. Andrew Hipp
- Episode 2: Early Steps, with guest Frank Balestri
- Episode 3: Choosing a Direction, with guest Ashley Tuffin
- Episode 4: Merging Interests, with guest Aurelie Jacquet
- Episode 5: Navigating Multiple Opportunities, with guests Dr. Murphy Westwood and Trinity Pierce
- Episode 6: North Stars, with guest Dr. Chelsie Romulo
- Episode 7: Final Destinations, with guests Tricia Bethke and Dr. Jennifer Chandler
- Episode 8: What Adventure is Next? with guest Audrey Denvir
- Episode 9 (Bonus): Meet the Hosts, Dr. Jessica Turner-Skoff and Meghan Wiesbrock
Interested in a career similar to any of our guests? Check out the bonus content below, and discover the career titles you could have, and the organizations you could work for: (link to STEM Career Chart).
SHARE: Please tell us what you think. After you have listened to one (or several) episodes, we welcome your feedback.