The Morton Arboretum is currently reopening its grounds and buildings in phases, with adjusted hours and operations aimed at protecting public health during the ongoing response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. The Visitor Center, The Arboretum Store, the Ginkgo Café, the Maze Garden, and the Children's Garden are currently open with modified operations. Please see below for further details.
The Visitor Center is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily, including the café and restrooms. Please be aware of the following important changes:
Payments: All transactions in the Visitor Center, The Arboretum Store, and the Ginkgo Café are currently contactless. Credit cards and mobile payments are accepted. No cash can be accepted for any transactions until further notice.
Maps and Brochures: To maintain recommended public health standards, no print materials are available at the Visitor Center at this time, including maps and brochures. Please visit the Maps and Directions page for printable maps of our grounds and directions to the front gate.
Restrooms: The restrooms inside the Visitor Center and the West Pavilion are open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily.
- Restrooms are being cleaned throughout the day and fully closed for 30 minutes every two hours for a sanitizing deep clean. The Visitor Center bathrooms and West Pavilion bathrooms are closed for cleaning on an alternating schedule.
- The restrooms at the Thornhill Picnic Shelter will remain closed until further notice.
- Portable restrooms are available throughout the Arboretum, including in the bus lot (Visitor Center parking area), Big Rock Visitor Station (Parking lot 13 - East Side), and Prairie Visitor Station (Parking lot 25 - West Side).
Water Fountains: Water fountains remain off. Please plan accordingly.
Face Masks Required: All guests are required to wear masks when interacting with Arboretum staff (including at the gatehouse) and inside all Arboretum buildings in accordance with the current State of Illinois requirements. Masks are required outdoors in spaces and situations when people cannot maintain a social distance of six feet or greater with people not in their visiting party.
Capacity Limits: The Visitor Center and The Arboretum Store have capacity limits in place based on state guidelines. Arboretum staff will actively manage entry and exit flows to maintain capacity limits.
The Arboretum Store
The Arboretum Store is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only (through March 2021). There are currently several ways to shop at the store:
Shop In Person
Guests may shop in the store while visiting the Arboretum. Customer capacity is limited to ensure public safety. Please follow social distancing guidelines mandated by the State of Illinois. Store employees may gently remind you to keep appropriate distances. Visitors are required to wear face masks inside The Arboretum Store. Credit card payments only; cash will not be accepted.
Shop by Phone or Video
Personal shopping experiences are available by phone or video.
- Please call The Arboretum Store at 630-719-2454 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to speak with sales staff who can assist you with your shopping and gift needs. You can place an order or arrange for greater assistance through a personal shopping appointment.
- If sales staff are busy assisting other shoppers, you can set an appointment for a personal shopping experience using Google Meets video. With this option, you can see the beautiful new displays and merchandise in the store.
- Payment is by credit card over the phone. Your card will be processed safely and securely through the Arboretum’s secure EMV credit card machines. No signatures are required.
You can place an order online and choose shipping or curbside pickup.
Online Order Process
- Visit The Arboretum Store’s online shopping site to select items for purchase. Please be aware that due to the vast assortment of merchandise in The Arboretum Store, not all of the store’s merchandise is available for purchase online.
- Please call the store at 630-719-2454 during the temporary shopping hours of 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily if you do not see what you need on the website.
- Your online order will be processed within two days and shipped according to our normal shipping procedures.
- Shipping charges are determined by UPS and are based on your address and requested shipping options. No additional handling fees will be applied to your order.
Curbside Pickup Process
- You may pick up online orders curbside at the Visitor Center Welcome Circle.
- If you want to pick up an order that was placed with our online shopping site, please enter CURBSIDE as a promotion code during checkout. We will process your order and no shipping fee will be applied.
- We will contact you when your online order is ready for pickup (typically one to two days after placing your order). At that time you will need to obtain a timed-entry member pass or guest ticket through the Arboretum’s online reservation system for members or guests.
- Once you confirm a timed-entry pass or ticket, please call The Arboretum Store at 630-719-2454 to arrange your curbside pickup.
- When you arrive at the Arboretum, please call the store at 630-719-2454, and we will bring your purchase out to you in the circle drive in front of the Visitor Center for contactless pickup.
A modified assortment of food and beverages is currently available at the Ginkgo Café. Credit cards payments only; cash will not be accepted. Social distancing will be required in line.
Ginkgo Café inside the Visitor Center
- The Café is offering a modified menu ranging from bakery items to salads and sandwiches. Espresso beverages and drip coffee are also available.
- Credit card payments only; cash will not be accepted. Social distancing will be required in line.
Ginkgo Restaurant inside the Visitor Center
- The Ginkgo Restaurant is temporarily closed.
Outdoor concessions in Arbor Court outside the Visitor Center
- The outdoor concession stand is now closed for the season and will re-open in Spring 2021.