Upcoming Events in the Sterling Morton Library
For a morning of community, connectivity, and spirited discussion, join Leafing Through the Pages, the Sterling Morton Library's book discussion group. Meeting on the second Thursday of every month from 10:00 a.m. until noon in the Library, this group explores works of fiction and non-fiction relating to natural history, ecology, and gardens. Participants need to obtain books and read each month's selection prior to the gathering to fully share in the discussion.
Not a member of the Arboretum? Join today. If you are an Arboretum member and would like more information about Leafing Through the Pages, contact Rita Hassert at email@example.com or 630-719-2430.
2020 Reading and Viewing List
- January 9, 2020 – Goldfarb, Ben. Eager : the surprising, secret life of beavers and why they matter, 2018.
- February 13, 2020 – Jonnes, Jill. Urban Forests : a natural history of trees in the American cityscape, 2016.
- March 12, 2020 – Crosby, Cindy. Tallgrass Conversations : in search of the prairie spirit, 2019.
- April 9, 2020 – Blum, Andrew. The Weather Machine : a journey inside the forecast, 2019.
- May 14, 2020 – Nature Poetry – Each participant is invited to share a nature-related poem. [The previously scheduled viewing and discussion of the documentary More Than Honey has been canceled.]
- June 11, 2020 – Powers, Richard. The Overstory, 2018.
- July 9, 2020 – Egan, Timothy. The Big Burn : Teddy Roosevelt and the fire that saved America, 2009. [LTTP redux – first discussed on February 11, 2011]
- August 13, 2020 – Dunn, Robert. Never Home Alone : from microbes to millipedes, camel crickets, and honeybees, the natural history of where we live, 2018.
- September 10, 2020 – Maclean, Norman. A River Runs Through It, and other stories, 1976.
- October 8, 2020 – Wohlleben, Peter. The Secret Wisdom of Nature: trees, animals, and the extraordinary balance of all living things, 2019.
- November 12, 2020 – George, Rose. Ninety Percent of Everything : inside shipping, the invisible industry that puts clothes on your back, gas in your car, and food on your plate, 2013.
- December 10, 2020 – Fraser, Caroline. Prairie Fires : the American dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder, 2017.